Subject: New To List (first post)
From: "Joseph E. Van_Riper III" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1993 23:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

Welp.. here I am.  Finally found a forum for the discussion of AmigaE,
a language I'm pretty impressed with, overall.

	I've been working on a fortune cookie program, perhaps the most
complex, flexible version of this kind of program ever written, and found one
very annoying problem that I'd like to solve, but I haven't figured out a
solution for yet (perhaps because I missed something in the docs or something).

	Most C language compilors open a filestream called 'stderr' that lets
you output text to a stream that won't get redirected into a file.  I would
find this very useful for some of the work I'm doing, but I haven't figured out
precisely what I'm supposed to do to do this.  As a work-around, I've instead
given the user the option of having the text go to a specified file, or to
stdout.

	Can anyone suggest a way I could open a stderr port to the same
"window" stdout is hooked to, without having to go through too much convoluted
programming nonsense?

	Also, I've got something of a complaint that perhaps you guys have
already found a work around for that is better than mine... I would like to
have a string that is CONST (that is, say:

CONST VERSION = '$VER: Myprog 234098.002 (12.7.93/23:17:34/E 2.1b) An ' +
                'Example Program'

which could be used anywhere in my program).

Currently, this doesn't appear to work.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrongly..
or perhaps there is no adequate work-around for this (short of DEFining a
global variable and setting it in PROC main() or something).

One thing very positive about Amiga E, however, is the way it practically
forces you to write code using the Amiga's many functions.  Talk about
following proper procedures... Very Very Nice.  My programs have never been
more Amiga-like than they are now!

- Trey